Endorsers of the NPV Plan
Formal endorsements of the National Popular Vote Plan as of July 2010 include the following. Web-based versions of these endorsements can be found via the links provided.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - Statement on the National Popular Vote
- Asian American Action Fund (AAA-Fund) - AAA-Fund's endorsement of National Popular Vote
- Brennan Center for Justice - Read a commentary from Brennan Executive Director Michael Waldman
- Common Cause - Common Cause and several of its state branches have been active partners from the news conference announcing the plan in February 2006
- Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund
- Demos - Statement
- Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action - Statement
- League of Women Voters US (LWV) - The organization endorsed NPV at its June 2010 National Convention. Statement
- MassVOTE - Statement
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) - At its 2008 annual convention in Cincinnati, Ohio, the NAACP adopted a resolution (pdf, 54kb) in support of the proposition of a national popular vote for president in general and the National Popular Vote plan in particular. It won final approval of the NAACP board on October 17, 2008
- National Black Caucus of State Legislators (NBCSL) - In December 2006, the Judiciary Committee of the NBCSL unanimously adopted a resolution (pdf, 37kb) at its annual meeting in Jackson, Mississippi. It was adopted by acclamation on the floor
- National Institute for Latino Policy (NILP) - The organization endorsed NPV in July 2010
- National Latino Congreso (NLC) - NLC passed a resolution (pdf, 56kb) with overwhelming support of NPV at its September 2006 conference
- National Popular Vote - Website
- Progressive States - Issue page
- Public Citizen - Statement
- Sierra Club - In February 2009, the Sierra Club published its resolution and formal endorsement of NPV
- U.S. Public Interest Research Group (PIRG) - U.S. PIRG's March 2009 press release supporting NPV
- Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Backed 2009-2010 legislation, AB 751
Many governors have come out in favor of National Popular Vote. Read what they've said about the effort here.
For a listing of state legislators and other individuals backing the National Popular Vote Plan, see the National Popular Vote website.